- The origins of the Australian ugg boot style are disputed, with both Australia and New Zealand laying claim.
- Sheepskin boots were known in rural Australia during the 1920s reportedly worn bySheep Shearers as they found them resistant to wool yolk, which would rot their ordinary boots.
- The date of commercial manufacturing began remains unclear
- Here Some of the early commercial manufacturers of Uggs Boots:
- 1933 Blue Mountains Ugg Boots of New South Wales.
- 1950’s Frank Mortel of Mortels Sheepskin Factory begin manufacturing the boots.
- Surfer Shane Stedman of Australia has also stated in interviews that he invented the Ugg boot.
- 1970’s Perth sheepskin boot manufacturers Bruce and Bronwyn McDougall ofUggs-N-Rugs start manufacturing the boots.
- The origin of the term “ugg” is also disputed one Frank Mortel claims that he named his company’s sheepskin sheepskin boots “ugg boots” in 1958 after his wife commented that the first pair he made were “ugly.”
Others have suggested that the term grew out of earlier variations, such as the “fug boots” worn by United Kingdom’s Royal Air Force pilots during World War I.
- In the 1970s, ugg boots became popular among competitivesurfers. The footwear became somewhat popular in the youth market as a sign of rebellion after movie theatres in Sydney banned ugg boots and ripped jeans.
- In 1994 Deckers bought the Ugg Boot brand and has since grown it into the $160 million dollar brand we know today
Click HERE to view our huge selection of Uggs up to 50% off